What is meant by a certified copy of a document?
Certified copies are copies of original documents that have been verified and signed by one of the professional persons listed below :
- member of the judiciary, a senior civil servant, or a serving police or customs officer;
- an officer of an embassy, consulate or high commission of the country of issue;
- a lawyer, notary public, actuary, accountant or company secretary who is a member of a recognised professional body;
- a director or manager of a regulated business on the Isle of Man or in an equivalent jurisdiction. Please contact us if you require additional information.
What Our Lawyers Offer
Our lawyers certify your document and provide the certification in English on the Certification of Identification Documents form. Alternatively, we may provide the certification, directly on the copy of the document, providing the following information :
- sign and date the copy document (printing his/her name clearly in capitals)
- clearly indicate his/her position or capacity
- provide his/her contact details, including the name and address of the company/institution that they represent
the certifier must state that it is a true copy of the original document and that the photograph (where applicable) is a true likeness of the individual concerned
We Certify the Following Document
- Divorce agreement and related court documents
- Certify clients' signature on legal or transactional documents
- Clients' ID or passport
How to have a document certified
Photocopy the original document. Take the original and the photocopy to our lawyers, who will make the following statement ON EVERY PAGE:
I have sighted the original document and certify this to be a true copy of the original.
If certain documents are not suitable for certification, our lawyers may assist you to apply for Public Notary service.